Join Black Lives of UU for a LIVE Multi-Faith Panel Discussion:
Whose Faith Is It Anyway?: Confronting White Supremacy in Faith Institutions
This online panel will discuss the issues facing people of faith doing liberation work within long standing institutions.
- How can we be effective in the face of structures meant to hold us back?
- Where do the opportunities exist to confront structures built on both faith & supremacy?
- Why is breaking through the institutional racism that exists in faith communities so difficult?
Confirmed Panelists include:
- Dr. Takiyah Amin - Assistant Professor, UNC Charlotte & BLUU Lead
- Candice Benbow, M Div - Writer, Educator & doctoral student at Princeton Theological Seminary
- Vicar Lenny Duncan - St. Mark's Lutheran Church & organizer #decolonizelutheranism
- Vahisha Hasan - Founder, Movement in Faith
- Kenny Wiley - UU World Senior Editor & BLUU Lead
Moderator: Leslie Mac - CoFounder Safety Pin Box & BLUU Lead
PREPARE FOR THE PANEL
HOST A LIVE WATCH PARTY
Host a live watch party at your home or congregation.
All you need is an internet connection and a way to project/show the panel to your attendees.
We recommend holding a post panel discussion to help sort through what they heard. Below are suggested discussion questions from UU Minister Arif Mamdani:
- Invite people to reflect on where in their bodies they notice a response to what they are hearing. Inviting people to note what the trigger is and not shutdown or argue or check out, but to listen and take it in first. Then reflect on these questions:
- What did you hear that made sense to you?
- What did you hear that is a stretch?
- What did you hear that made you recoil and what if that's true for your faith community?
Follow our panelists on social media:
SPREAD THE WORD
- Invite your friends to attend the panel.
- Share promotional images on your social media accounts.
SUGGESTED PRE READING
From Vahisha Hasan
Living Portrait: Vahisha Hasan of Movement in Faith: http://www.citizen-times.com/story/life/2017/02/09/living-portrait-vahisha-hasan-movement-faith/97559686/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
From Vicar Lenny
- Dear Church: #decolonizelutheranism: http://formerlyunchurched.com/dear-church-decolonizelutheranism/
- Dear Church, You Aren’t Dying You Are Becoming A Minority: http://formerlyunchurched.com/dear-church-you-arent-dying-you-are-becoming-a-minority/
From Candice Benbow
- For Sisters With Nothing Left To Give Up For Lent: http://www.candicebenbow.com/blog/lent2017
- An Open Letter to the Church: Make May A Month of Black Girl Sermons: http://www.urbancusp.com/2014/05/open-letter-church-make-may-month-black-girl-sermons/
- What If God Was One of Us: Seeing Black Girls As Holy: http://www.urbancusp.com/2014/03/god-one-us-seeing-black-girls-holy/
From Kenny Wiley
- A Unitarian Universalist ‘Black Lives Matter” Theology: https://kennywiley.com/2015/03/26/a-unitarian-universalist-black-lives-matter-theology/
- Sermon: Which Side Are You On?: https://kennywiley.com/2015/09/29/sermon-which-side-are-you-on/
- Lifting UU Voices: Anger Welcome: https://kennywiley.com/2015/07/17/lifting-uu-voices-anger-welcome/
- We are all bound up together: https://www.uuworld.org/articles/we-are-all-bound-together
- The next Selma - https://www.uuworld.org/articles/the-next-selma
From Black Lives of UU
- Black Lives of UU statement on UU & UUA power structures & hiring practices: https://medium.com/@BlackLivesUU/black-lives-of-uu-statement-on-uu-uua-power-structures-and-hiring-practices-6f099a154ffc
- Resist - a call from the Black Lives of Unitarian Universalism Organizing Collective: https://medium.com/@BlackLivesUU/a-call-from-the-black-lives-of-unitarian-universalism-organizing-collective-41adf01fb30f
- BLUU Risk Statement to UU Congregations: https://medium.com/@BlackLivesUU/bluu-risk-statement-to-uu-congregations-9730cee5300e
- The 7 Principles of Black Lives: https://medium.com/@BlackLivesUU/the-7-principles-of-black-lives-8afb62c797ab
- The Black Church in Trump’s America: Refuge & Resistance: http://religiondispatches.org/black_church_refuge/
- Confessing My White Supremacy - https://sojo.net/articles/confessing-my-white-supremacy
- If Your Pastor says “Racism Isn’t a Skin Problem, It’s a Sin Problem,’ You Need to Find Another Church: http://www.newblackmaninexile.net/2017/04/if-your-pastor-says-racism-isnt-skin.html?m=1
#decolonizeLutheranism - http://decolonizelutheranism.org/
- Reformation Goals: http://decolonizelutheranism.org/decolonizelutheranism-reformation-goals/